Friday, July 29, 2011

Hands on - Addictive Bom Boms with Joys @ Uptown Sweets

UPDATE: Post moderated 25 Aug 2011

This is a way delayed post actually...
I attended this workshop somewhere in April, tried 2 times and even once for a pre-wedding snack...
But until now, then I came up with this post on the workshop.... *geesh...what I've been doing??*

Bom Bom as what was named by Joys who came up with her good pal...
To what I understood (I do listen during workshop ok??), this is actually a celebration sweet from Brazil...
But the name <Bom Bom> is actually Portuguese...
(To what I remembered, this name was created cuz it relates to the meaning "good")
And to explain why it is good, the taste is good...(I'm serious)



I have to admit, initially, I have no intention to attend this workshop because I thought all along it was just...well...CHOCOLATES anyway...

Initially, I thought the workshop price was a little....(point of consideration)....
BUT after attending the workshop, I realized it wasn't the case...

In March came a super discount by Groupon...
It went to an incredible almost 45% from the original...
But being SINGAPOREAN, we show our morale when we see SALE or DISCOUNTS...


Discount aside, the reason that attracted me to this workshop was basically the "no need for an oven"...
(I still enjoy baking, CONFIRMED)
While Joys is doing mostly baking workshops (bread/macaroons etc), this no oven thingy catches me at that time...
It was like hotcakes when the workshop was conducted in Dec 2010...
When the discount came, it was schedule for April 2011...
Being a geek, staying at home for most wkends is what I usually do...
BUT I decided to get out of the house and went for this workshop...

I went to workshop, completely CLUELESS of this whole Bom Bom thing...
For a start, there were tasting session... (YES, food tasting)
And how many workshop instructors will give u tastings???


Participants were given 3 Bom Boms of different mixture...
(And I mean in terms of taste and texture)
I have to say, it was a TOUGH challenge for me...
(Braces stop me big time to really get the taste of this wonderful stuffs... T_T)
Nevertheless, I managed to try all 3...




And almost all adults who attended (there was a primary school girl who attended with her mum), loved the final one...
(Make a guess from the photo, which is the last one)
The taste blended just so well~


Right after tasting, it is time to get "dirty" with hands...
We were taught the ingredients required, and then a half demo-half hands on with the actual cooking..
(U heard me right, COOK NOT BAKE)
Participants were given chance to get a "taste" of the cooking of 2 different kinds...
(For ppl who wanna build your hand muscles, this is a VERY GOOD exercise)


Next on...Time to do our own Bom Boms...
We had slightly under 1hr to go (and were pressurized by Joys at the last 20mins that we had 1 more special Bom Bom waiting for us...we sweated)
They were shaped and filled and lastly packed into a lovely 9-pcs gift box...
(Extras were self-packed and brought home...I don't rem we left any for Joys...oops)




It was a very lovely workshop...
Joys is a very selfless lady who shared everything that we had to know...
Despite, it might be a little packed (with 10 participants) into her small cosy living room (which I dun think we made a mess), it was good enough...
Big spaces were not required anyway for this workshop...


While I CANNOT disclose the ingredients of this celebration sweet, if there is any interest, I'll be glad to direct u to Joys @ Uptown Sweets...





PS: This recipe will be up on Restaurant City on FB if u play this game! OMG~

2 comments:

Joys said...

Hi G, surprised to find your blog and a write up on Addictive Bom Boms. Thank you for sharing your thoughts post workshop & for your continuous support to our workshops @Uptown Sweets :)

2 points: The discount wasn't given by me, it was a deal arranged with Groupon to reach out to more people (Yes, I am glad you chose to come!). About costs ~ cost does not equate cost of ingredients alone, it includes material sourcing, workshop prep (you may not know that I spend 6hr cooking all the mixture in preparation for the workshops a day earlier :) as well and sharing of knowledge.

Enjoy your learning journey!
To your Tasty Moments,
Joys @ Uptown Sweets

Anonymous said...

Joys!!!

I'm surprised u stumbled across my post as I didn't "advertise" that I had a blog...

While I felt I must moderate my post after reading your comment, I must really say a big THANK YOU for the workshop...

My apologies for my mis-comments of the workshop cost.
I really don't mean to overlook any of your big efforts into putting the whole thing together.
In fact, I give you my applause..
I'm glad I attended it...
And seriously, I WOULD attend it even if there wasn't Groupon!

Kudos to you and keep more workshops coming in...
I'm looking forward to attend more workshops from you.

With greatest thanks,
Gladys