Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hands on - Fluffy bread with Joys @ Uptown Sweets

This is my 2nd workshop with Joys @ Uptown sweets..
And this post is about almost 3wks late...
(Thanks to the crazy connection that I had been having)




I've been challenging bread making for no less than the past 1 yr or so...
But none of my bread can survive fluffiness till the next day...
Or worst, they never even survive proofing stage...

While I've been following books and online sources, I believed that what I did was all correct, ingredients, steps, timing...
But I just dunno why the bread were like ... ... ... ...  *wordless to describe*

My mum had been complaining about the sub-standards bread and is on the verge of refusing being guinea pig anymore...
Previously, I was hoping that I can succeed with reading the instructions more carefully and following recipe to the T...
But after a long failure rate and the amount of ingredients that I had to throw away (not to mention the amount spent), I decided it is time to find out what and where I did wrong...

This workshop has been going around for a quite a while, and I had been kiv-ing it...
Of course, I had been finding reasons to kiv it...

My friend, Fei, had been keen to learn bread making, and since I don't mind xtra company, I've been waiting for a day that she's available...
But when she decided otherwise due to some reasons, I thought I just went ahead...

I nearly couldn't make it for this workshop cuz it was near the actual date...
And I'm very lucky to be able to still get a place for it...
Else I would have to wait till now or even later...
(Workshops are very packed at Uptown Sweets)

I went into the workshop with some prior knowledge of bread making (without much success)...
Joys was initially quite surprised that I went to this workshop since I roughly know how it goes...
She asked me what and where I went wrong, but I never did find out... -_-''''''
I need to learn from my mistakes (which I apparently never did before the workshop)

Going thru the workshop, nothing was different from what I had been doing...
Ingredients and amount was exactly the same...
But PROOFING time was different!!!

I used to have doughs proofing for 2hrs and still did not puffed up as expected...
Some even overnight in the fridge and yet they refused to budge even just an INCH...
Reluctant to throw away without "cooking" in the oven, I went ahead despite it didn't puffed...
Naturally, it didn't result in any edible stuffs...

But the workshop dough went puffing in 30mins and by 40min, it was more than double the bulk!
I was like WHAT THE.......!
WHY????!!!!

When I told Joys of what happen to my doughs, she was also surprised that mine reacted in that way...
BY RIGHT, it should be ok...
My own guess was kneading went wrong... (regardless of using hand or using my 2mths old KA)

While the hand kneading was about the same, the mixer was a little different...
Following the user manual of KA, we ain't allow to go over speed 2 during dough kneading...
But at Joys, she went full speed at 10... (although she's using the pro model of KA which is more heavy-duty)

Puzzled me totally...
The answer, go ahead with high speed, no worries...
Full speed == fast kneading == less time needed == won't overwork the KA
There was "slapping" sound during the machine work when it went on full speed...
And that was what Joys wanted us to heard if we are using machines like KA or Kenwood...
For a smaller mixer, it would be slightly different...

The rest that follows were about the same as what I had been doing...

I gathered 2 points as my failure in my previous bakes:
1) Yeast does matter~
2) Problem went to my kneading...

Ok.... dough aside...

Now come fillings...
Joys had selflessly yet again to share her "secret recipe" filling...
Sardines~
And yes, I must agree that she should be proud of this filling...

It went very well with the savoury buns...
Impressive, I should say...
A simple stuff could be so "elegant"...
(According to Joys, she converted a few ppl to like sardines...)
Although I never hated sardines, but I don't eat it often...
After this workshop, I must say, sardine + savour bread == SUPER NICE!!!
(I tried to replicate it the next couple of days, but NO I didn't managed to achieve the same standard as Joys' sardine)

At the end of the day, this is a compilations of FLUFFY breads that I took home...


2 x oreo plain sweet buns
2 x croquant plain sweet buns
2 x plain sweet buns
1 x sardines
1 x egg mayo
1 x chicken sausage
1 x taiwanese sausage







Among which, my heart goes to sardines and egg mayo...
The plain buns were good with Joys' home-made fruit jam (and it differs with each different workshop)
The only regret was I didn't get to try Joys' Creme Patisserie!!! *urgh*
We over-stretched the workshop timing badly and didn't have much more to do the cream...
So we have to give it a miss...(we were given the recipe though...)


Joys had a very busy day alone from the morning when she preps all the bread for tasting session...
YES, u heard me right, TASTING session....
Joys' workshop comes along with a tasting session...
Then she has to prep the participants' share of ingredients...

(Thanks so much , Joys)

A long workshop, but I believe it was all worthwhile both for Joys and the participants...
At least I felt it all worth...
Because, I had 3 VERY SUCCESSFUL stints of bread after the workshop!!!!!! *pop champagne*
Failed one cuz it was a loaf bread...(loaf bread is much more difficult to achieve success)

Kudos to Joys

No comments: